Scaffolding FAQ’s

Scaffolding FAQ’s2021-04-04T20:57:01+01:00

Please take a look at some of the frequently asked questions. If your query isn’t listed, please feel free to get in touch with your question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Who is competent to inspect a scaffold?2021-07-13T21:05:02+01:00

Legislation specifies that anyone carrying out an inspection must be competent to do so. To be competent that person must have the necessary training, knowledge and experience.

Are there any grants available for the training?2021-07-13T21:02:13+01:00

There is little funding available for an individual to claim, however some funding is available for employers to subsidise their employees training. CITB offer training grants to those companies who pay CITB Levy.

Are there any specific qualifications required to be a scaffolder?2021-07-13T21:01:07+01:00

The CISRS scheme is the industry-recognised qualification for Scaffolding, with several categories of CISRS card available.

Labourer Card- Delegates must successfully complete the following:

  • 1 day CISRS Operatives Training Scheme (COTS) Course
  • CITB Health, Safety and Environment.

Trainee Card- Delegates must complete CITB Health, Safety and Environment test and 1 of the following:

  • 1 day CISRS Operatives Training Scheme (COTS) Course
  • 2 week Scaffold Induction Course (apprenticeship foundation course)
  • 2 week Part 1 and also completing an application form endorsed by your employer

This card lasts for 18 months and during this time delegates must commence formal training. If the card was applied for on completion of the COTS course the delegate must have completed a minimum of a Part 1 course within 18 months. This will allow the delegate to apply for a 2nd trainee card which will last a further 18 months in which time the delegates must complete their CISRS Part 2 course and the Level 2 Access and Rigging Operations NVQ and a CISRS one day Skills Test.

Scaffolder Card- When the delegate has completed all of the above and has a current CITB Health, Safety and Environment test they are entitled to apply for his CISRS Scaffolder card.

Advanced Scaffolder- When the delegate  has held their Scaffolder card for a 12 month period, they can then attend their two week Advanced course, complete their Level 3 Access and Rigging Operations NVQ, pass the CISRS two day Skills Test, complete a further CITB Health, Safety and Environment test and can then apply for their Advanced card.

Supervisor – Delegates must complete the following:

  • CISRS 5 Day Supervisory Course and completing
  • CITB Supervisory Health, Safety and Environment Test

Basic Scaffold Inspection– Delegates must complete the following:

  • CISRS 3 day Basic Scaffold Inspection Course
  • CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test.

Advanced Scaffold Inspection- Delegates must complete the following:

  • CISRS 2 day Advanced Scaffold Inspection Course

CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test.

What is CPD?2021-07-13T20:58:59+01:00

CPD is abbreviation for Continuous Professional Development.

Who needs to do CPD?2021-07-13T20:51:21+01:00

Any CISRS Part 2 or Advanced scaffolder who wishes to renew their card. This would be five years from the date of issue.

Why do we need CPD?2021-07-13T20:58:19+01:00

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have been lobbying CISRS for some time to implement CPD. The HSE requested CISRS to demonstrate how individuals who are issued with the CISRS qualification prove they have up to date knowledge of the industry when they renew their cards every five years. So CISRS created a two day course covering the following:

  • Basic and Advance Scaffold Inspection
  • Mobile towers
  • Update on current guidance; TG20, SG4, etc
  • Masonry ties
When does CPD commence?2021-07-13T20:56:54+01:00

CPD has recently been introduced in the scaffolding industry with the first pilot course being held at NCC midlands in February 2017 and another scheduled for March 2017. So any scaffolder renewing his/her card is now required to complete the course.

Is the CPD course pass / fail?2021-07-13T20:54:15+01:00

Yes. You will have a number of test papers to complete throughout the two days.

I have just passed my Part 2 or Advanced course and need to apply for my card do I need to complete a CPD course first?2021-07-13T20:53:14+01:00

No. As you have recently completed your training you can apply straightaway for your card, providing you have completed your NVQ, and one day skills test for a part 2 or a two days skills test for an Advanced. Note: You must also complete a health and safety test or equivalent prior to applying for card.

Go to Top